The first settlers of the Millcreek area in 1848 included Mary Fielding Smith (widow of Hyrum Smith) and her children, including Joseph F. Smith. The area remained essentially rural in character until after World War II. As postwar suburban growth spilled south over the Salt Lake City limits, the area was not annexed by the city and remained unincorporated.
Salt Lake County created Millcreek Township in 2002 as an administrative sub-entity which included the populated census designated places (CDPs), as well as undeveloped Mill Creek Canyon in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest immediately to the east. The township was created to give residents of the area more local control over planning and prevent annexations by neighboring cities.
Suburban in character, Millcreek is wedged between Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake on the north and Murray and Holladay on the south. Millcreek residents typically identify with Salt Lake City, which is designated by the U.S. Postal Service as the “default” place name for mailing addresses in the area. However, “Millcreek” is a recognized place name for addresses in the ZIP codes 84106, 84107, 84109, 84117, and 84124. The city is organized into four community councils, Canyon Rim, East Mill Creek, Millcreek, and Mount Olympus, roughly corresponding to the former CDPs.